Skip to main content

SC eyes dropping Caguioa

As ponente in poll case vs Robredo

THE Supreme Court (SC), sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), is considering replacing Associate Justice Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa as the ponente in the election protest case filed by former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. against Vice President Maria Leonor Robredo, sources said.

Well-placed sources told The Manila Times that after an overwhelming majority of magistrates rejected Caguioa’s draft ruling recommending the dismissal of the poll protest, a new ponente will likely be appointed.
“The new ponente shall come from the majority after Ben (Caguioa) became the dissenter to the case,” the source said.
Only Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio supported Caguioa’s proposal.
Last week, 11 justices moved to set aside Caguioa’s ponencia.

Associate Justice Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa. Source: sc.judiciary.gov.ph

The tribunal instead decided to release to the camps of Marcos and Robredo the report on the revision and appreciation of ballots in the three pilot provinces and required them to submit their comments.
The two parties were also ordered to submit memoranda on the matters relating to the third cause of action, which is the annulment of election results for vice president in the provinces of Lanao del Sur, Basilan and Maguindanao, within a period of 20 days from receipt of the notice.
Caguioa wanted to dismiss the Marcos protest outright without proceeding to the next stage, which is to determine if “fraud” was indeed committed during the vice presidential race.
Marcos, who lost to Robredo by 263,473 votes, accused her of “massive electoral fraud, anomalies and irregularities” such as pre-shading of ballots, pre-loaded Secure Digital cards, misreading of ballots, malfunctioning vote counting machines and an “abnormally high” unaccounted votes/undervotes.
Dismiss

On Sunday, Robredo’s camp reiterated its call to the PET to junk the election protest because of Marcos’ failure to show substantial recovery of votes in the three pilot provinces.

Romulo Macalintal, Robredo’s legal counsel, said from the data culled from the PET’s resolution on October 15, Robredo gained 17,520 votes from the three pilot provinces that were chosen by Marcos. The former senator, meanwhile, recovered 2,427 votes.
Macalintal added that the figures “prove that Robredo won in the recount of votes and gained substantial recovery from the three pilot provinces Marcos chose for the initial determination of the merits of his protest pursuant to Rule 65 of the PET Rules.”
Rule 65 allows the PET to dismiss the election protest if there had been no substantial recovery.
“While the rules mandates that a [protester], like Marcos, should make ‘substantial recovery’ from his pilot provinces, the above facts and figures show Marcos’ dismal and miserable failure to make any ‘substantial recovery.’ On the contrary, it was Robredo who made an overwhelming substantial recovery, which justifies the opinions of PET members, Justices Antonio Carpio and Alfredo Caguioa, to dismiss the election protest of Marcos,” Macalintal said in a statement.
He slammed claims of Marcos’ counsel Vic Rodriguez that Robredo did not know the details of Marcos’ election protest.
“Contrary to his claim, the PET resolution did not resolve ‘to proceed with Marcos protest.’ The PET is yet to study its merits after the parties have submitted their respective memoranda on various issues. The PET did not also ‘junk the Caguioa report,’ as it was the basis of the PET in holding in abeyance further proceedings in Marcos protest until the parties have submitted said memoranda,” Macalintal said.
He added that based on the results of the recount in the three pilot provinces, which supposedly best exemplified fraud, the remaining 27 unrevised provinces would yield less recovery.
WITH DIVINA NOVA JOY DELA CRUZ
Source and Original Article from: >>> The Manila Times

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

The 4 Amazing Health Benefits of Saluyot Leaves.

Saluyot, photo from  YouTube Illness prevention and cure do not need to be expensive. Most Filipinos opt to take herbal medicines first before indulging with costly medicines with or without doctor’s advice. The vegetables we often find in the market are not just there as plainly ingredients but also a source of vitamins and minerals. One is saluyot. What Is Saluyot? Corchorus olitorious or saluyot has many health benefits. It is used for food consumption because of its high nutritional value. It is considered as a health booster. This leafy veggie belongs to the Malvaceae family and grows on tropical areas. This herbal plant carries vitamins and minerals. It is an abundant source of vitamin A, C, E, calcium, iron, and dietary fibers. Saluyot, photo from  Tagalog Lang Amazing Benefits of Saluyot  Promotes good eyesight Saluyot has beta-carotene content which promotes good eyesight. Its richness in vitamin A will help you prevent or avoid ...

PMA Alumnus Reveals Shocking Story about Trillanes Family: “Nilustay ng kanyang tatay ang pera ng AFP”

Photo from Facebook A first hand comment was shared by Commodore Vicente Cejoco, AFP, PMA class 1982-2013 Outstanding Filipino Soldiers Awardee (TOPS), an was posted by Ernesto Aquino on his Facebook account. According to Cejoco, Trillanes was one of the students he handled at PMA (Philippine Military Academy) as an Engineering instructor. He also added that the class of Trillanes belonged to the last PMA cadets he handled. Back when Vicente was still the Commander of PMA COMMEL(Communication and Electronics) Company and the  COMMEL Staff officer of General Rodolfo “Pong” Gaspar Biazon, he recalled Antonio’s father, who was the Assistant J-6/ Deputy Chief COMMEL AFP,  was being tagged as Dumbguard Trillanes IV to his office after asking the PMA Commandants to release him.  During the company level punishments or “mase-mass”, Cejoco said that Trillanes Sr. still had the guts to eat in his office while his mistahs were dying in the  hallways of Melc...

PhD thesis details Ninoy Aquino’s collaboration with Communist Party/NPA

First of a series on the Scalice revelations THE Yellows’ martyr Benigno ‘Ninoy’ Aquino, Jr. was crucial in the founding and growth of the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army (CPP-NPA). Aquino, until his arrest when martial was declared in 1972, supported the CPP-NPA as one of his weapons to topple his arch-enemy Ferdinand Marcos. This is among the many explosive conclusions and details of a 2017 PhD dissertation by Joseph Scalice at the University of California, Berkeley, entitled  Crisis of Revolutionary Leadership: Martial Law and the Communist Parties of the Philippines, 1957-1974. The 800-page thesis is replete with encyclopedic information not just on the old pro-Soviet  Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas  (PKP) and Jose Ma. Sison’s pro-China Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP). Scalice reveals surprising details on political figures of that era that would shock the Yellows and the Reds. Scalice appears to have sp...